CHICO, California – A local realtor seeks help from the community in setting up her new nonprofit to accommodate people who are struggling to get a permanent roof over their heads.
When Alisha Simpkins isn’t working at Keller Williams Realty.
She is putting the finishing touches to her new non-profit organization called “Single Moms to Homeowners”.
“This organization helps single parents become home owners. We’ll cover your closure costs and pay up to 50 percent of your down payment, ”said Alisha Simpkins, founder of the nonprofit.
According to the US Census Bureau, 83 percent of single parent households are mothers. And because of this, fair housing advocates say they are more likely to be homeless than other types of families.
“It breaks my heart. It’s why this program was started because I was one of those statistics,” Simpkins said.
She and her brothers were displaced at a young age.
“I was a high school senior, pregnant and homeless in my car,” Simpkins said.
Her teenage brothers went to friends – but when she found out they slept on cold floors, she had to apply for government housing to provide a better home for everyone.
“And I’ll never forget that the first yes actually went through 50 no’s,” Simpkins said.
Simpkins wants to make it a lot easier by saying that every $ 50,000 it can raise can help 5 to 10 single parents become homeowners.
“It would probably be a $ 300,000 home and it usually takes work in Chico,” Simpkins said.
So, they rely on building relationships with contractors or people who may not want to bring their homes to market.
“The homes that we can match with these people with our nonprofit can get a tax advantage out of it,” Simpkins said.
She is determined to help not only her parents but also her children.
“I believe that through generosity it will change children’s futures forever,” Simpkins said.
Below are the qualifications to apply for this program.
- You must have custody or guardianship of at least one minor child or child with special needs / medically dependent who lives with you 50% (or more) of the time
- You must obtain pre-approval for a loan / mortgage from a lender approved by this program
- Main residence
- The apartment must be your main residence.
- The home must be in Butte, Tehama, or Glenn Counties.
- You must be a first time home buyer or have not owned a home in the past 3 years.
- Your income must be at or below the county loan limits for compliant FHA conventional loans.
- The home price must be within the Cal FHA limits.